The toilet is one of the most important areas in a home. It is used daily by all family members, and issues like clogging or smelly toilet can make life difficult for anyone. Buyers look at the toilet first thing while inspecting the home, and they won’t hesitate to move on to the next home if they don’t like what they see.
It is important to ensure your toilet is in good condition before putting your home on the market or selling it to HomeFront. Here are eight tips to help you renovate your toilet and make it look amazing.
Clean, Clean, and Clean Some More
Start by cleaning the bowl, seat, and tank with a toilet brush. Be sure to pay attention to all the nooks and crannies, as this is where dirt and grime tend to accumulate. Once you’re done scrubbing, use a strong cleaner to remove any remaining dirt and stains.
Watch out for these toilet issues:
- Clogging: Toilets can get clogged due to many reasons, such as the buildup of hair, grease, and even toilet paper. It is important to clear the drain regularly to avoid clogging.
- Smelly toilet: A smelly toilet is often caused by a buildup of bacteria. To eliminate the smell, use a toilet cleaner containing bleach.
- Slippery Toilet: A slippery toilet is dangerous, as it can cause you to fall and hurt yourself. Be sure to clean the floor around the toilet and use a non-slip rug to prevent accidents.
Replace Old and Worn-Out Parts
Once you’ve cleaned the toilet, it’s time to replace any old or worn-out parts. These include the toilet seat, flapper, tank lever, and fill valve. Replacing these parts is relatively easy and can be done without the help of a professional.
Install a New Toilet Seat
If your toilet seat is cracked, discolored, or otherwise not in good condition, it’s time to install a new one. Toilet seats come in many different styles and colors, so you’re sure to find one that matches your bathroom décor.
Get a New Flapper
The flapper is an important part of the toilet, as it helps keep the water in the tank from leaking into the bowl. If your flapper is worn out, it will need to be replaced.
Install a New Tank Lever
The tank lever is used for flushing the toilet. If your tank lever is broken or damaged, it must be replaced.
Replace the Fill Valve
The fill valve is responsible for supplying water to the toilet tank. If your fill valve is leaking or not working properly, it will need to be replaced.
Add Some Greenery
Adding some greenery to your bathroom can really help to spruce it up. Place a potted plant on top of the toilet tank or in the corner of the bathroom. Or, you could hang a small pot from the ceiling using a fishing line.
You could also use these tips to spruce up your toilet’s looks:
- Install the right lighting: Proper lighting can make a difference in how your bathroom looks. Be sure to install bright lights to make it easier to see when you’re using the toilet.
- Paint the walls: A fresh coat of paint can brighten a bathroom. Choose a light color reflecting the light and making the room appear bigger.
Paint the Toilet
If you want to give your toilet a makeover, consider painting it. You can use standard bathroom paint or even go for a fun and funky color. Just be sure to use paint specifically designed for bathrooms, as this will help prevent mold and mildew growth.
Renovating your toilet doesn’t have to be a difficult or expensive task. By following these tips, you can give your toilet a makeover that will impress potential buyers and help you get top dollar for your home.
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I am Betty Knight, Owner of this site! I am a 'nearing 30-year-old', happily married to 1 awesome man. We live in the beautiful tourist town of Franklin NY.