Rosacea is a persistent inflammatory skin condition that generally influences the face, causing redness and small bumps to form. Even though it can affect anyone, it is more prevalent in middle-aged women and is more visible in light-skinned women. People often mistake it for skin diseases or acne as they have the same appearance. A notable aspect is there is no existing cure for the condition; however, there are medications to help suppress the symptoms.
Even though doctors have not determined the causes of this condition, some factors can trigger it. The known triggers include spicy foods, sunlight, stress, and alcohol. Here are some symptoms one should watch out for.
- Enlarged nose. After some time, the condition will cause the skin around the nose to thicken. As a result, it might look bigger than usual.
- Eye issues. One might have irritations in the eyes and they may appear red. The eyelids are also affected as they might swell.
- Skin flushing. This happens when the skin darkens for a short time.
- Noticeable blood vessels. Rosacea can cause blood vessels to be easily seen in the skin.
- Burning feeling. An individual might have an irritating sensation in the face due to skin tightening.
How Rosacea Affects the Life of an Individual
Can Lower One’s Self-Esteem.
One thing that everyone person is always cautious about is their appearance. This is because it is often open to social judgment. Studies have shown that rosacea can have a significant negative effect on a person’s quality of life. However, you need to understand that you are still worthy, and with persistent treatment, you will regain your appearance.
Due to the change in facial appearance, an individual might avoid going to work. As a result, they will be less productive, implying that they might not get promotions. Due to this, one is most likely to be stressed with is a triggering factor that can cause rosacea to flare up.
Affects One’s Social Life
People with this skin condition might be afraid to go to gatherings or other social events with fear that their peers will judge them. Due to this, they develop social anxiety, which forces them to cancel all plans that involve interactions.
One of the symptoms of this skin condition is itchiness in the face. This might cause physical discomfort as one might have the urge to scratch themselves, which might be an uncomfortable act in public.
Might Need to Quit Your Favorite Meals
At all costs, you have to stay away from foods that might trigger a flare-up. Therefore, if you love spicy meals, you will be forced to forgo them and take other alternatives.
With the ways explained above, what is evident is that one is inclined to change their way of life with rosacea. This is a negative aspect as it makes you do things that you are not used to.
A Tiresome Skin Care Routine
A majority of the population cannot go out without their makeup. With rosacea, it takes much more time to prepare yourself, as you should first test the facial products. Before applying any makeup, it is critical to apply it on the wrist; if it has a burning effect, it is not suitable for use.
Skin Care Tips for the Condition
- Use skincare products that are friendly for the condition.
- Always apply sunscreen when exposed to sunlight.
- Always moisturize the face.
- Gently wash the face at least two times a day.
- Keep off anything that increases your stress level.
- Avoid spicy foods and opt for mild options.
- Reduce alcohol intake.
As stated above, doctors have not yet ascertained the causes of this chronic skin condition. Therefore, it would be best to stay away from any element that might cause it to flare up. Furthermore, as there is no cure, you need to ensure you go for treatments regularly. Through this, you can suppress the symptoms and continue living your everyday life to the fullest.