Coil twists are a popular and versatile hairstyle for natural hair. They offer a beautiful way to enhance your curls while adding definition and texture. Whether you’re looking to switch up your look or protect your hair from heat damage, coil twists can be a great option.
One of the great things about coil twists is that they can be done on various lengths and textures of natural hair. From short afros to long coils, anyone with natural hair can rock this style. It involves twisting small sections of hair tightly around themselves, creating springy coils that are full of bounce.
Choosing the Right Products for Coil Twists
Understanding Coil Twists
When it comes to styling natural hair, coil twists have gained popularity for their versatility and ability to create defined curls. Before diving into product selection, it’s important to understand what coil twists are. In simple terms, coil twists involve twisting small sections of hair tightly from root to tip, resulting in beautiful springy curls.
Coil twists work well on various hair textures, including type 3 and type 4 curls. They offer a protective style that can last for several weeks with proper care. By choosing the right products, you can enhance the longevity and overall appearance of your coil twists.
Coil Twists on Natural Hair
By following these preparatory steps, you’ll set yourself up for success when it comes to achieving beautiful and well-defined coil twists on your natural hair. Remember, taking the time to properly cleanse, moisturize, detangle, stretch, and use appropriate styling products will make a noticeable difference in the outcome. So go ahead and get ready to rock those stunning coil twists! Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving Perfect Coil Twists
Are you ready to rock some stunning coil twists on your natural hair? I’ve got you covered with this step-by-step guide that will help you achieve those perfect coils. Let’s dive right in!
- Start with Clean, Moisturized Hair: Before diving into the styling process, make sure your hair is clean and well-moisturized. This will provide a good foundation for creating defined and long-lasting coil twists. Use a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to hydrate your locks.
- Section Your Hair: Divide your hair into manageable sections using clips or hair ties. This will make the styling process easier and more organized. Smaller sections generally result in tighter and more defined coils, while larger sections create looser coils.
- Apply a Styling Product: To enhance the definition of your coil twists, apply a styling product that provides hold and moisture. Opt for a curl-defining cream, gel, or butter that suits your hair type and texture. Work the product through each section from root to tip, ensuring even coverage.
- Detangle Thoroughly: Before twisting each section, detangle it gently using a wide-toothed comb or your fingers. This step helps remove any knots or tangles that could interfere with the twisting process and ensures smooth, uniform coils.
- Twist Away: Now comes the fun part! Take one section at a time and divide it into smaller subsections (around 1-inch wide). Begin twisting each subsection tightly from root to tip in a clockwise motion until you reach the end of your hair strand.
- Seal the Ends: To prevent frizz and maintain coil longevity, seal the ends of each twist by twirling them around your finger or applying some oil or butter of your choice.
- Allow Time to Set: After completing all the twists, allow them to set and dry naturally. You can speed up the drying process by sitting under a hooded dryer or using a diffuser attachment on low heat.
- Unravel and Style: Once your twists are completely dry, it’s time to unravel them gently. Separate each coil carefully with your fingers or a pick to create voluminous and defined curls. Feel free to style your coils as desired, whether it’s an updo, half-up half-down style, or letting them flow freely.
What's Your Reaction?
Mahendra is a gentle giant who loves nature and taking care of plants. He has an innate ability to connect with all forms of life, and often spends his free time talking to the trees and flowers in the park. Although he is gentle by nature, Mahendra can be fierce when it comes to defending those he loves. He was born in India, and spent many years living in the jungle before moving to the city. There, he met his wife - a lovely woman who shares his love for nature. The two of them now live in a small house near the park, where they take care of the plants and animals that live there.