Binging is defined as eating more than you planned to, or more than is healthy. Binge eating may be an occasional thing, like eating two slices of cake one night after dinner. Or it can be something you do on a regular basis.
When you binge on food and eat more than you can handle, you feel bloated and ashamed. You may feel so guilty about your eating that you make yourself sick. But you don’t have to live with binge eating. If you have a binge eating problem, you can do something about it.
Stop A Binge Before It Happens
If you have a binge eating problem, you’ve probably tried to stop binging many times. It takes time to make a change, and binging is not something you can stop overnight. It is important to make changes in your overall eating pattern, not just to cut out one food. If you feel that you are on the verge of a binge, try these tips:
- Drink a glass of water and don’t eat. Food will stay in your stomach longer if you have something to drink. So if you’re feeling hungry, try drinking a glass of water first.
- Call a friend you trust. Ask that person to help you figure out some other things you can do other than eating. Or want to have lunch with them.
- Go for a walk, go to the gym, take a bath, or go somewhere else to relax. Do something to get your mind off food.
- Eat a low-calorie snack to take the edge off. If you feel like you have to eat something, eat something like a carrot stick or a few peanuts.
- Look in the mirror and say out loud, “I am strong and I can stop eating now.”
Change your Daily Routines
If you’ve been binge eating frequently, you may want to try to cut back your calorie intake. You don’t have to feel hungry to diet. Eating a low-calorie diet is about changing your eating habits, not necessarily about cutting back your intake of food. Here are some tips for making sure you don’t eat too much:
- Eat slowly. Eat small bites and chew your food well. You’ll feel fuller faster and won’t have to eat as much.
- Try salad or yogurt for lunch. They’re filling, so you won’t feel as hungry in the afternoons.
- Eat breakfast. It will help you feel less hungry during the day.
- Stop eating when you’re 80% full. If you wait too long to stop eating, you’ll eat more than you need.
- When eating with friends, split a restaurant-sized portion. You’ll be less likely to eat as much.
- Eat breakfast. If you’re not used to eating in the morning, start with something small.
- Keep healthy snacks around like veggies, fruit, and yogurt.
- Eat slowly. You’ll feel full faster, so you won’t eat as much.
Eat With the Goal of Being Healthier
Try to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day. Fruits and veggies contain water, and water helps fill you up. Eat more veggies that are low in calories like lettuce and spinach. Eat more fiber too. Fiber helps you feel full longer. And don’t forget to drink lots of water!
What's Your Reaction?
Discover what Olivia is talking about from Parenting to Entertainment & all of the in between. Activities for Kids, DIY, Health & Fitness, Giveaways & More..