If you’re struggling to fall asleep and aren’t getting restful sleep when you do manage to sleep, this can have a real impact on your mental and physical health. Sleep is important, and lying awake looking at the ceiling can be stressful and upsetting. Instead of worrying about the sleep you’re missing out on and popping sleeping pills to get your rest, try some natural remedies.
- Try some herbal remedies. Herbal remedies like valerian root and chamomile have been popular for a long time as a natural way to help you sleep. Try a soothing cup of chamomile tea before bed to help you drop off. You could also try passionflower, lemon balm, and hops. Before you take any herbal remedies, remember to check with your doctor first, especially if you are taking other medication or are pregnant.
- Try CBD. CBD is a cannabinoid, but doesn’t contain any THC (the bit that makes you high), and has become a popular treatment for many conditions, including anxiety and insomnia. Buy CBD gummies for an easy way to try CBD and see if it works for you.
- Try acupuncture. This traditional Chinese medicine involves inserting very fine needles into the skin at specific points to release and reduce tension. By releasing tension from the body you can get better quality sleep and feel more rested.
- Meditate. Tense muscles and a stressed-out mind would keep anyone awake. Try some relaxation techniques like meditation to relax your muscles and quiet your mind for a helpful way to get you ready for sleep. Meditation or yoga as part of your bedtime routine could help you to fall asleep more easily and sleep more deeply. A guided meditation app can encourage restful, refreshing sleep.
- Do regular exercise. Getting regular exercise can make it easier to fall asleep at night and will improve the quality of your sleep. Any kind of exercise that you like will do the trick, as long as you’re consistent with it. Try not to exercise in the last two or three hours before bed though, as you might end up doing the opposite of what you want and make falling asleep more difficult.
Before starting any new exercise routine, herbal remedies or traditional medicine, speak to your usual Doctor to make sure that what you want to try is safe. This is even more important for anyone who is pregnant has an existing health condition or is taking any kind of medication. Check before giving any herbal remedies to children too.
Insomnia can have many causes, so even if you are using natural solutions, it can be well worth speaking to your Doctor about your troubles. While they may not be able to find the cause of your insomnia, they may be able to refer you for further help with any stress or anxiety that may be keeping you awake at night. Getting a good night’s sleep to improve your mood, make you more alert and help you to concentrate better at work.
What's Your Reaction?
Newly middle-aged wife of 1, Mom of 3, Grandma of 2. A professional blogger who has lived in 3 places since losing her home to a house fire in October 2018 with her husband. Becky appreciates being self-employed which has allowed her to work from 'anywhere'. Life is better when you can laugh. As you can tell by her Facebook page where she keeps the humor memes going daily. Becky looks forward to the upcoming new year. It will be fun to see what 2020 holds.