Chocolate and Caramel Drizzled Chocolate Cupcakes
Such a great combination of chocolate and caramel together on white frosting atop of a chocolate cupcake. I used what I had on hand to make these with my daughter. You can use a store-bought cake mix though if you are short on time !
**When looking at the recipe the Ingredients look like they are all ‘cake’ ingredients-but if you go mid-way you will see the frosting ingredients. Same goes with the instructions. For example- the frosting directions start at #8 in the instructions area.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 margarine or butter, softened (we used butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (we used butter)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1#) sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Hershey’s Caramel Syrup
- Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- *or something to the equivalent
- Cake Instructions:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put 18 cupcake liners in cupcake pan(s).
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, mix well.
- In large bowl, combine sugar and margarine, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, blend well. Alternately add dry ingredients and milk,
- beating well after each addition. Pour batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 24 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled. Then frost.
- Frosting Instructions:
- Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla, gradually add powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Beating well on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom well (often).
- When all sugar has been mixed in, (icing will appear dry).
- Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy
- Yields 3 cups.
When cupcakes are cooled and frosting is made- you are now ready to decorate them. I used a frosting bag with a flower type tip. I filled the bag (after I assembled from the directions), and started from the outside and worked my way in, then formed a bit of a peak. Abbey then drizzled chocolate syrup, and then caramel syrup to get the effects shown.
We then put them on a plate and into the fridge until they were ready to be served!
What's Your Reaction?
Newly middle-aged wife of 1, Mom of 3, Grandma of 2. A professional blogger who has lived in 3 places since losing her home to a house fire in October 2018 with her husband. Becky appreciates being self-employed which has allowed her to work from 'anywhere'. Life is better when you can laugh. As you can tell by her Facebook page where she keeps the humor memes going daily. Becky looks forward to the upcoming new year. It will be fun to see what 2020 holds.