I have made this recipe more than once with my kids. It is a favorite in our house. If your children are younger you will have to be the one in charge of frying them. ** just a side-note, I enjoy baking but my pictures are not always ‘professionally displayed’, this is because I am not a professional. Enjoy!
#ratingval# from #reviews# reviews
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 quart oil for frying
- optional-powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar mixture (you can do one or the other or both).
- For draining doughnuts, prepare a plate or cookie sheet with paper towels layered (you can
- put a brown paper lunch bag underneath or aluminum foil).
- You can also flour a clean surface (counter or kitchen table).
- Also prepare a shallow bowl or pie plate with an inch of flour.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F. Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in butter until crumbly.
- Stir in milk and egg.
- With floured hands, lightly knead the smooth dough.
- Turn onto area prepared with flour. Pat dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Dip either doughnut cutter or two biscuit cutters (one 1-inch and one 3 or 4-inch) in flour.
- Use to cut-out doughnuts. Carefully drop doughnuts into hot oil, only a few at a time.
- Fry, turning once, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on prepared paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Three minutes on each side, and if you have more than 1 batch your cook time will increase. You will end up with doughnut holes and cake donuts. Yum.
When you are done, if you have any left over 🙂 Put in an airtight container.
What's Your Reaction?
Newly middle-aged wife of 1, Mom of 3, Grandma of 2. A professional blogger who has lived in 3 places since losing her home to a house fire in October 2018 with her husband. Becky appreciates being self-employed which has allowed her to work from 'anywhere'. Life is better when you can laugh. As you can tell by her Facebook page where she keeps the humor memes going daily. Becky looks forward to the upcoming new year. It will be fun to see what 2020 holds.