Homemade Holiday Eggnog
When I was a kid my favorite ‘job’ of the holidays was making the homemade eggnog. After many years I finally got it to where I feel it is as close as I can get next to purchasing it. Do you have a favorite Christmas time/ Holiday drink?
I hope you enjoy mine!
- 1 dozen eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 quarts milk
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In large saucepan, beat together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and just coats a metal spoon. Stir in vanilla.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in bowl of ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, several hours or overnight.
- Pour into bowl or pitcher. Fold in whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately with one or several of the following: ground nutmeg, shaved chocolate, peppermint sticks, maraschino cherries, cinnamon sticks, whipping cream, whipped, ice cream, flavored brandy or liqueur, brandy, rum or whiskey.