Mac n’ Cheese with a Dill Onion Twist
We seem to have homemade mac n’ cheese more often than I would like. Its not too expensive and not really hard to make; and makes great left overs. But sometimes macaronis and cheese can get a bit boring; so tonight I changed it up a bit. If you would rather have the normal you can omit the onion and the dill.
- 1# box of elbow macaroni, uncooked
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dill weed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 16oz Medium Cheddar (or your choice).
- Cook macaroni as directed on the box. 9-11 minutes.
- Cook and stir margarine, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until onion is slightly tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat .
- Stir in cheese until melted (or you can on low heat but don't leave it alone).
- Place cooked macaroni in ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese sauce into macaroni and sprinkle dill weed in while stirring.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. 8 servings
Wife, mother, grandma, blogger, all wrapped into one person, although it does not define her these are roles that are important to her. From empty nesters to living with our oldest and 2 grandchildren while our house is rebuilt after a house fire in 10/2018 my life is something new each day.