Mac n’ Cheese with a Dill Onion Twist
We seem to have homemade mac n’ cheese more often than I would like. Its not too expensive and not really hard to make; and makes great left overs. But sometimes macaronis and cheese can get a bit boring; so tonight I changed it up a bit. If you would rather have the normal you can omit the onion and the dill.
- 1# box of elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 16oz Medium Cheddar (or your choice).
- Cook macaroni as directed on the box. 9-11 minutes.
- Cook and stir margarine, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until onion is slightly tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat .
- Stir in cheese until melted (or you can on low heat but don’t leave it alone).
- Place cooked macaroni in ungreased 2 quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese sauce into macaroni and sprinkle dill weed in while stirring.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. 8 servings
Newly middle-aged wife of 1, Mom of 3, Grandma of 2. A professional blogger who has lived in 3 places since losing her home to a house fire in October 2018 with her husband. Becky appreciates being self-employed which has allowed her to work from 'anywhere'. Life is better when you can laugh. As you can tell by her Facebook page where she keeps the humor memes going daily. Becky looks forward to the upcoming new year. It will be fun to see what 2020 holds.